Women In Science Issues
"Jozef Stefan" Institute
“Central European Centre for Women and Youth in Science”
Women with PhDs in ICT
At the Jozef Stefan Institute, we have prepared an exhibition entitled Women with PhD in ICT in Slovenia in co-operation with the Central European Centre for Women and Youth in Science. With this exhibition we want to:
- Show that scientific work requires constant studying and research, but it is also fun and fulfilling;
- Show that women in ICT can easily achieve the highest level of expertise in the addressed area and through this also the leading decision-making position;
- Break a stereotype that in the ICT study programmes only man can be successful;
- Show that despite the fact that scientific work is very demanding, there is also time for family, friends and hobbies;
- Point out some problems with which women in Slovenia are faces with in science.
We have invited all women with a doctorate programme in ICT, who completed their degree at the University of Ljubljana and University of Maribor to participate in this exhibition.
By the beginning of the year 2006, 17 out of 87 women were awarded their a PhD degree at University of Ljubljana, and 6 out of 47 at the University of Maribor.
The opening of the Exhibition took place on 18. 4. 2006 at 15.00 in the hall of Josef Stefan at Jamova 39 in Ljubljana.
The exhibition is “a traveling exhibition” and it is shown at universities, institutions, government offices, high schools, libraries, etc. We invite you to visit the exhibition and see how some of the women in ICT in Slovenia think about their profession and how it is to be a women scientist.
The exhibition is currently shown
The project was prepared by:
Dunja Mladenic – project outline and co-ordination
Darja Brodnik – content realization and editing of materials
Dalija Sega – artistic concept and design